Thursday, March 13, 2008

Horrifying Coconut Oil Experience
Have you ever been told that drinking OIL is good for you? That you will lose weight and your skin will glow?
The newest fad that hit the office is drinking a teaspoon or a tablespoon coconut oil daily and see your fats melt away! (Pun not intended)
So, being the try-to-lose-as-much-weight-as-I-can-before-2008-finshes me, I thought myself to be the bext contender.
This is an account of my coconut oil journey.
Aim: To lose weight by having a tablespoon of coconut oil daily at 10am & 5pm.
Coconut oil


You may note that it is the VIIIRRRGGGIIN coconut oil, 100% certified organic. Wah rau....this organic thing is so hippy!

How virgin coconut oil looks like. Strangely it smells very nice! Like coconut sorbet

I put a tablespoon in my mouth and panicked. Natural reflex tells me it is oil and it is melting in my mouth at that moment. I wanted to spit it out but the whole point is to swallow it, so I had to force it down my throat. Goodness & sweetness. There is no taste but the texture of the oil just turns me off.
Trying my very best to wash the coconut oil taste from my mouth with big gulps of water.
Yeah, I dun look that good. That taste of oil stayed with me the whole morning and lunch.
During lunch time, I finally went to the toilet to puke. I hope I have puked out all of the oil.
It was so yucky.
Then, one of my colleague Candice sent this email which nearly made me want to strangle the person who started it (cannot say who of course!):
From: Candice Teo
Sent: Friday, 7 March 2008 10:11
Subject: RE: COCONUT OIL TAKERS
Dear all,

I was at GNC last night getting Echinacea when I asked the very beefy counter guy about coconut oil. Apparently our digestive systems are not used to the coconut oil, and hence ingesting a substantial amount (which all of you did!) will cause discomfort or pain. What you are supposed to do is to take one TEASPOON a day for one week, then increase it to two TEASPOONS a day for the second week. Eventually, you will be able to ingest one tablespoon a day, and it’s good to actually start using it in your cooking.

The coconut oil is actually MCT, which is taken by bodybuilders to lose all their fat before they bulk up for their competitions. Hence, it is a proven weight loss catalyst.

So if you are still bent on losing weight, you can go ahead and try it again but gradually introducing it into your system.

Pls note that I am NOT CONDONING eating this, as I am a firm believer of eating right, eating just enough, and exercise. I am merely relating what I learnt.

Ta,
Candice
No wonder I felt so sick! I had a TABLESPOON, not a TEASPOON as recommended. I have felt tightness in my chest and a constant urge to vomit. Isobel thought I might be allergic to the oil, which I doubt very much so. I am a fan of curries cooked in coconut oil. But then again, the virgin coconut oil is not exactly chicken curry.
For all those who wanted to try the virgin coconut oil (which should be easily available in any good health food or organic food shops), I suggest to take it in food form.
I have heard suggestions of putting it in shakes, mixing it up with dressing for a salad or just use the oil for cooking. Or of course the best way to eat it on its own.
There have been many debates whether it works or not, but it is not working for me at all.

No comments: