Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summary & Commentary on Book of Habakkuk, The Old Testament Bible, New King James version

Following on the summary of the Book of James in the New Testament, I read the Book of Habakkuk in the Old Testament Bible. There are only 3 chapters in the Book so it is relatively easy for the 1st speed-read through. However, as with all Old Testament Books, the chapters are fraud with double meanings, heavy words and histories unknown to me, so the context and the inferences may be lost through my interpretation.

I became fascinated with the Book of Habakkuk when I was very young. In the Sunday School for kids, we memorised all the Books of the Bible by singing The BOB (Books of Bible) Song. There are many versions out there on youtube at the moment, but I like this one the most:


Anyway, as I was saying, I was drawn to Habakkuk because of the strange name. You dun pronoun the word 'ha-bah-cook' and forget it easily. Plus on last Sunday's preaching, PJ was saying Habakkuk is an interesting read, so I read it up. It was, and still is, quite an extraordinary book.

Habakkuk is the name of a prophet who lived in 500 to 600BC in the land of Judah (many schools of thoughts on this one), where internal strife and wickedness is prevalent in Judah (everyone agreed on this point); according to Richard D Patterson. You can click on the link for a more thorough read on Habakkuk, but I must say for a non-theologian layman like me, you might be wishing you are more knowledgeable first about all things theology before you clicked on the link, just like how i felt.

Habakkuk the Prophet revealed to the people of Judah some of the prophecies he has received from God and the way Habakkuk has written this 3 books has shown great passion and conviction for the Word that is from God. The prophecy, I would say, is in time for the current lawlessness and despair in the land.

Chapter 1
Habakkuk was praying when the Word of God came to him in the form of a prophecy.
In fact, he was complaining to God! He complained that God did not hear his prayers. This drama king was saying 'Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds.' (v3). Seems to me he was speaking the people's mind at that point in time in Judah. The Lord revealed to him to wait and see, if He will not work a miracle to remove the injustice.

Then Habakkuk petitioned on his 2nd complaint on behalf of the people again: why God did not punish the evil people?

Chapter 2
In Chapter 2, the Lord replied to Habakkuk's 2nd question: delay is definitely not denial.

The Lord lists the following that will be corrected for arrogant people:
1) desires are not upright, wine betrays him and he will never have rest. He will be 'as greedy as the grave and like death is never satisfied'. I love the Biblical descriptions! So vivid and straight to the point. No beating about the bush on this one.

2) to those who builds his wealth by being unjust, you will be ruined!

3) to those who prospers in crime, the Lord will see you will be exhausted by nothing, no matter how much effort you put in

4) to those who are perverted, it will be your turn to be shamed and be exposed.

5) to those who idolises, all that you value will be valueless.

Chapter 3
In this chapter, Habakkuk ended the prophecy with the exaltation of God, where he 'stand in awe of' God's deeds, God's glory 'covered the heavens', God's praise 'praise filled the earth', verse 4: 'His splendour was like the sunrise; rays flashed from his hand, where his power was hidden'.

Habakkuk was extolling God's wonderful name, His power and His majesty and that he could not bear to live a minute on earth without the wonderful fear of God. Just like James, Habakkuk is adamant to face trials with joy and he will rejoice in the Lord, no matter what; because the Lord is his strength and the Lord 'makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights' (v19).

One point of interest I realise is, James could have read about Habakkuk when he wrote his letter to the 12 tribes! See verse 17 where Habakkuk was saying about fig trees, vines and the olives, James had the exact same description in James Chapter 3 (?!).

It is very encouraging to me to know that James and Habakkuk are such positive people and indeed strong men of God. I was quite touched that whatever they were going through in their place in history is still applicable to us in modern times, where our battles are how good we can perform at work, how much money you can make or for the students- how well you study. Every problem is just a mountain you can pray over to be moved. If you can see this, there should be virtually no despair you can feel over any obstacles in life. To end, I leave you with this old song that I thought sums up my feelings as I was composing this post. I hope you like it too. To the fig trees, vines and the olives that God has created for us. ^^



He knows my name, by Tommy Walker

I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

Chorus:
He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call

No comments: