Thursday, July 15, 2010

The return of the prodigal daughter

Dear Blog,

I was so upset yesterday. My darling Masterchef was cooking some yummy looking lamp-chops in the kitchen and the whole house started to filled with the heady aroma of lamb sizzling away on the stove top and the smoke from the pan. I had to open the balcony door to let the smoke out.

Emi of course started sniffing around the balcony area being the curious animal cats are. We didn't think much of it cos she is a scaredy-cat (no pun intended) and she normally do not dare to go further than the general area of the balcony door.

Lamp chops done and we settled down for a delicious dinner and the real Masterchef on TV.

After 15 minutes, I started to feel a bit weird out cos it was way too quiet in the living room. Usually we will be surrounded by the 'ling, ling, ling' sound of our stealth little cat's bell but the tinkling sound is missing from the living room.

I started calling, 'Emi, Emi' and looked around the living room, under the sofa, her bed, bathroom, kitchen. No Emi!

I quickly took out her favourite snacks and shook the bag. I know for a fact my baby will come running whenever she hears the sound of the snacks. But this time, no Emi!
My hands started to sweat and my heart pounded really loudly. Ernest even looked over the balcony railings and started putting on his jacket and wanting to go to the ground floor to see if he can find a body.

For my immense fear of looking straight down from heights, I forced myself to look at the ground from my balcony and tried to keep calm as I tried to tell Ernest I really could not see any body or blood splatter on the ground and suggested he start to knock on neighbour's door to see if Emi was at any of the neighbours' balcony as our ledges are all connected.

When Ernest was walking out of the door, I continued my snack shaking at the balcony and calling her name all the time. Suddenly, I saw a little head poking out from a neighbour's balcony 2 doors down and reflection of 2 small eyes flashed at me. Emi is safe! She is just at the neighbour's!

I yelled at Ernest to come back and shook the snacks loudly to tempt her back. The nimble little baby of ours tip-toed her way back to us with all her fur standing and fluffed up because of fear. Or cold. Or both.

I quickly scouped her up and closed the balcony door. All the time, I told her,'Emi, you are back! You are back!' Ernest and I tried to calm her down by stroking her in front of the heater on her favourite red cushion and feeding her some snacks.

She promptly fell asleep after a while, quite tired out with her adventures yesterday night.



Lesson learned: balcony doors are not to be kept opened for an extended period of time anymore.

Sobs,
Eliss.

No comments: